How can I get my ex-husband to pay a court ordered sum of money?

I was divorced 7 years ago. In the divorce agreement, it states that my ex-husband is to pay me $16,000 that will accumulate 7% interest annually until paid off. Here we are 7 years later and he has made no effort to pay. He did just buy himself a new truck and makes good money as an employee for the city in which he lives. Is there anything I can do to get him to pay this. The divorce agreement does not give any “deadlines” or anything so I wonder if there is anything I can do about it.

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to have an attorney help you collect via a writ of execution and either a bank levy or wage garnsihment.  If you are in the LA, Ventura, or SB County Areas, I can help you out with this.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.