If I did not register for selective service since I was not aware of the requirement. can I still apply for citizenship?

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are still within the age of Selective Service registration, you should register with Selective Service first and then apply for naturalization.  If you are already too old to apply for Selective Service, you can, of course, still apply for naturalization but you need to be prepared to explain why you never registered with the Selective Service.  Not being aware of the requirement by itself might not work because it is on the forms you sign when you apply for your green card.  However, if you can explain how you were represented by an attorney (if that's the case) and you were never advised of the need to do so, etc. or if you got the green card very close to the time that you would no longer be eligible for the Selective Service, etc.  In other words, you have to explain your particular situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.