What can i do if I did not pay the plaintiff after court order and judge said me not having an income was no excuse?

I didn’t pay the plaintiff after a judges order in a civil case because I am in college and unemployed with no income. The judge was aware of this and informed me this would not be a reasonable excuse if I did not pay. I am scheduled to go back to court soon.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In the circumstances that you have written about on a judgment that you owe, I would at least make some partial payment to the judgment creditor and be prepared to explain to the judge the reasons why you could not pay the full amount owed.

One option would be to borrow the necessary money from a friend to pay off what is owed. You need to realize that in this country there are no longer debtor jails. The judge under the law legally cannot order you to pay a judgment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.