What are my rights if I did a freelance job worth thousands of dollars but my client made up some bogus claims that I was harassing him, so he didn’t want to pay and now wants to sue me?

I’m wondering if it’s legal for him to use the job I handed over to produce goods? Is the company receiving those documents free to use them to produce goods?

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Based on what you write, you should be able to sue your client based on breach of contract (not honoring his obligation to pay you for the work you did), for unjust enrichment (by being unjusticely enriched by keeping the fruits of your work without paying for them), and/or for fraud (if he lied to you about his intentions from the start). Yes, he might try to interpose his own spurious or dubious claim against you (e.g. as counterclaim), but if there is no basis for it, you would presumably win, so you should not see that as a reason to not pursue your own rights. If you win in court, you will get a court judgment ordering him to pay you the money he owes you. (And after all, if he's determined to sue you, he could do so regardless of whether you sued him for the money he owed you.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.