How to proceed regarding a defaulted mortgage?

I did a for sale by owner 8 years ago for property that was willed to me. The man buying the property was paying on time until this year. I have not received a mortgage payment in 3 months. Each of those months on the on 5th, I sent him a ” friendly reminder” certified with no respond. What do I do next?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to send notices of intent to foreclose pursuant to your state statutes and if the matter is not resolved with payment, you must proceed with foreclosure (judicial or non-judicial) based on your state statutes.  In terms of after the foreclosure, you go through the eviction process. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.