What to do if I dated an underage girl with her mother’s consent but a social worker put charges on me because we are having a baby?

I left the country but I really want to come back.

Asked on November 9, 2013 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


Brook Miscoski / Hurr Law Office PC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You are conflating parental consent for marriage with parental consent for sex outside of marriage. It's possible for a parent to consent to the marriage of a child who is 16-17, but that doesn't mean that the mother's permission for you to date her minor child was permission for you to have sexual intercourse with her minor child outside of marriage.

In your case, this matter will probably affect your ability to attain legal status or legal presence, because it is considered a serious offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.