What are my legal options if I damaged the bumper on my neighbor’s car?

I told her immediately. We made a written agreement (I have it saved) that I would hear from her adjuster and agent before any repairs were done so that I could discuss the damage with my insurance agent. My neighbor said that she only wanted the deductible, so the opportunity to file it through my insurer was important since my deductible is lower than hers. I never heard from her adjuster or agent but I got a bill from her insurance company after the repairs were done. The bill for damage is $772 and my deductible is $500. If our agreement was honored, I would only owe my deductible, significantly less than the bill. What are my legal options?

Asked on April 7, 2014 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If there was a  written agreement between the two of you capping the amount you would pay, you could enforce that agreement. Send a copy to her and her insurer and explain that you will pay the amount you and she agreed you'd pay. If they refuse to accept that and try to sue you, you would raise the agreement in court as a defense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.