How to ensure that money isn’t thrown away with denial letters?

My fiance recently gained her citizenship to the US and wanted to petition her half sister (paternal) to the US we believe we must petition her father first. We are concerned about difficulties because he filed an affidavit after she received her green card to correct his last name, which was 1 letter off. He passed the incorrectly spelled name down to my fiance and her full blood brothers, yet passed his corrected last name on to the half-sister. The country involved is the Philippines.

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Immigration Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your question as written is pretty hard to answer with respect to the visa application question you have concerning immigrating to the United States. I suggest that the best way to try and get your visa applications in order to to retain an immigration attorney in the United States to assist you in your attempts to get the visas you desire. Such would be the best way to hedge your bet in not wasting time and money in the applications desired to be submitted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.