If I currently work for my father as the manager of his night club and in the off hours and friend and I want to start a dance studio, what do we need to do from a legal standpoint?

We are starting a dance studio business teaching ages 3 and up how to dance to hip hop music and much more. We have already written up a waiver for injury or anything close as to myself, my friend/business partner, and both the dance studio, night club and my father are not responsible for any injury during classes. If they sign the waiver, are we still held responsible if anything happens during any class session? And being that it is a night club that sells alcohol, are we supposed to close off access to any alcohol beverages in the bars during any of our classes? We are only having classes during non-business hours for the club?

Asked on September 26, 2015 under Business Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Waivers are not bullet proof and they only protect you from civil suits.  If you have an area that is potentially dangerous to a child, then you need to make sure you take whatever steps are necessary to make the children in your charge safe.  If a child accidentally ingests alcohol and is injured, then anyone responsible could be criminally responsible for injury to a child by their acts or ommissions. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.