If I need to quit my job die to my son’s medical condition, am I eligible for unemployment?

I currently work 3rd shift as a contracted employee. My son was diagnosed with a serious neurological issue, Erb’s Pallsy, which required him to have constant attention and constant help with it so it’s effects are not permenant. Due to his condition, no daycare is willing to take him overnight and my parents cannot help me. My wife frequently travels for work and is not always available at night to look after our son. I have tried to get my employer to place me on 1st or 2nd shift here so I would at least be able to arrange child care for him during the day or evening, however they have told me that nothing is available. I am considering quitting and filing for unemployment but I’m not sure I would qualify.

Asked on November 8, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, you would not be eligible for unemployment compensation. Even though your reason for quitting is very good and understandable, it would still be a voluntary termination of employment (voluntary resignation or quitting), because it is not due to your employer's actions; therefore, because it is voluntary, you would not be eligible for unemployment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.