What are my rights regarding my business if I have a partner?

I currently have a very basic partnership agreement that ends on November 28th. The company is in both of our names but the renewal is coming up. My partner has been doing things behind my back after I disagree. He will not follow our mediation agreement so I am looking to find a new partner. I started the business but he has been a part of it for 10 months. Would it be legal for me to renew the business names without his on it? What would be my best option at this point and how would things work? I’m not necessarily trying to push him out of the company but looking to have the control of decisions that are made.

Asked on November 18, 2013 under Business Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

While I can surely understand your concerns here on how he deals with the decsion making and the business, it is impossible to help with out reading the partnership agreement.  Did you retain ownerhip of the name when he bought in to the business (which is what I am assuming)? Can you just terminate his partnership?  That seems odd.  The agreement is what controls here and I would take it to an attorney to review.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.