Where to do if I co-signed for a loan with my sonbut he hasn’t made a payment in years?

I have to make the payments because of my security clearance. I have to keep paying to avoid a repossession which could cost me my job. He currently resides in one state and I am in another. Where do I need to file suit and what kind of lawyer do I need to seek out to recover the money owed to me? I want to get my money back; The money that I’ve put out so far is over $14,000.

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you co-signed a loan for your son where he received its benefits, but you are forced to pay down the loan for the reasons that you have written, your son is obligated to reimburse you for the payments that you have been making.

I would write him a letter asking him his intent. If the response is not what you want, then your option is to consult with an attorney about a possible legal action being brought against him by you for breach of an implied contract and common counts. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.