If I co-signed a motorcycle financing agreement with my friend but he passed away, is there a way for me to negotiate with the dealer to lower the loan balance?

I know I am liable for the remaining balance of the loan.

Asked on July 23, 2014 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can always try to negotiate, and you can it as informally as calling them; or more formally by letter or email. But they are under no obligation to change the loan balance; doing so would be completely voluntary on their part. That being the case, try to offer them something to make it worth their while, such as offering to pay a lower balance or amount all at once, so they'll get their  money faster.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.