If I co-signed a loan for my nephew and now he not paying anymore, is there any action that I can take?

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You could sue your nephew to recover the amounts you have to pay, as a cosignor on the loan. (Remember: you are as liable, as a cosignor, as your nephew is.) Your nephew is obligated under the loan and you may sue to enforce that obligation. While you are doing this, it is important that you pay the loan as per the agreement; if you do not, the lender could take legal action against you and/or report your default to the credit rating agencies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.