If I commited a drug-related crime but the record is sealed and I have to renew my greencard, can I be deported?

I have never commited a crime before or after; it took place 9 years later. What should I do? I have my biometrics coming up with INS, so can I get my greencard renewed?

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Immigration Law, Georgia


Meghan Abigail / Abigail Law Firm, PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I agree with my colleague that you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney. Get the complete criminal record for the attorney to review. The drug conviction might mean you are deportable, depending on what drug it was. If you are placed into deportation proceedings, then you are probably going to want an attorney to help you review your options, if any, and represent you in court.

Were you ever the victim of a crime in the U.S.? In that case, it's possible that you might qualify for a U-visa, which can waive almost everything.


Good luck.

Raymond Lahoud / Baurkot & Baurkot, the Immigration Law & Deportation Defense Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You certainly need an attorney with this issue, as the drug convictin, depending on when it occured and what drug was involved (as well as the statute that you were convicted under) could (1) subject you to deportation and (2) could potentially put you into mandatory detention pending the outcome of an underlying deportation case.  Many of Baurkot & Baurkot's Deportation Law Clients have been put into deportation proceedings, not knowing that a crime from years ago could cause problems for them and then they file some type of application with USCIS and the person is then flagged.  You should have an attorney review this case before you proceed.  Please contact our Firm, Baurkot & Baurkot.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.