If I co-signed for my ex but he stopped paying the car loan and now my wages are being garnished, can I get the car from him since I’m now paying it?

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Unless you have a separate agreement with your "ex" that if he stopped making the car payments that you co-signed for and you ended up making the payments, you cannot get possession of the vehicle unless he agrees to this.

Since you are now having your wages being garnished as a result of a judgment resulting from the loan you co-signed for him, you can bring an action against him for monies that you are paying to the judgment creditor. I suggest that you consult with a contracts attorney about this suggestion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.