If I caused a car accident 2 years ago in which multiple cars were involved and now one of the driver’s insurer’s wants to sue for the damages of the vehicle, what will happen to me?

I’m still a college student and unemployed.

Asked on September 10, 2015 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the insurance company files a lawsuit and you don't file an answer to the complaint complaint is the lawsuit within 30 days after being served, the insurance company will file a default which means you will have lost the case unless you file a motion to have the default set aside.
The insurance company will get a court judgment against you.  Since you can't afford to pay the amount of the judgment, it would be advisable to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy at that time.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.
It would be advisable to wait on filing bankruptcy until all of the "multiple vehicles" file a lawsuit against you before filing bankruptcy, to include all of them as creditors.
If it is not possible to wait until all of the other insurance companies for those "multiple vehicles" file their lawsuits against you before you file for bankruptcy, you can amend your bankruptcy to include them as creditors when you know the amount each of them is seeking as compensation.  Again, all of these debts can be eliminated by filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.