If I cannot afford an attorney for my master’s hearing for divorce, what are my choices?

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can contact Legal Aid and see if they can have an attorney represent you at the hearing. If not, check with the county/state bar association; they may have a list of attorneys who handle divorce cases for no/low cost. Also, contact the local social services department to see if they can recommend someone to help you. Finally, if there is a law school in your area, they typically run legal clinics that handle there these cases for a nominal fee (possibly for free).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.