I can’t find any police record on myself and passed 2 background checks, do I have a criminal record?

I was arrested for domestic violence 4 years ago. It was a class A misdemeanor. I pleaded no contest, and was given deferred judification if I completed 50 hours of community service and if I completed a assault class.In return the lawyer said I would have my record clean if completed.I completed everything and the charges were dropped. My dream job requires me to never been convicted of domestic violence. If I cant find any police record on myself does that mean I was not convicted ?

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A deferred adjudication means that once you successfully complete all of the court ordered conditions, your criminal case is dismissed and will not count against you as a criminal conviction. This is why it is not appearing in criminal background checks because it has been dismissed. If it does appear, then you either need to provide proof that the case was dismissed or seek a criminal expungement altogether to erase it completely from your criminal record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.