I can not afford the required retainer fee to obtain a lawyer. What do I do?

I have three actions pending right now. The first is a reverse discrimination case against my former employer in which they protect minorities (do not punish them, promote them, let them do whatever they want) but punish and terminate whites. The 2nd is a civil rights violation with a local PD for holding me without charge, calling my employer to report me and subsequently getting me fired. The 3rd is a rape case in which a girl made false accusations with a 6 month delay and no physical evidence. I only make 265 a week now and have horrible credit and no bank account, nor can I get one. Help!

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are definitely legal resources available to help those who cannot afford a lawyer defend themselves from criminal cases (the 3rd case you mention). There are also often local resources to help those who cannot afford bring civil cases (the 1st and 2nd cases). Call your TN state bar association at 615-383-7421 or visit them on the web at http://www.tba.org/index.php and they should be able to direct you to organizations (such as Legal Aid) or attorneys who could help you. You could also try your city's local bar association if it has one (they should be listed in the yellow pages) and also call the clerk of your local courthouse.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.