Can I get a green card by marrying my girlfriend who will become an American citizen?

I’m Italian but live in the U.S. I came to America because my girlfriend lives here and after 4 years of being in our relationship, I decided to reach her in America. In July, we will be married. My visa has expired for 6 months, and she will become an American citizen in october, after 5 years of green card. It will be possible for me to get a green card through marriage? If yes, how long time will be necessary?

Asked on May 14, 2016 under Immigration Law, Connecticut


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As long as you entered the US lawfully and can prove that lawful entry 4 years ago and you are lawfully married and the marriage is bona fide, if your spouse is a US citizen will be able to petition for you and at the same time you will be able to apply for adjustment of status.  The process should take about 4-6 months and you will not need to leave the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.