If I came to the U.S. as a child and my I94 is under my father’s name, since I recently got married am I eligible to apply for a green card?

Asked on August 26, 2015 under Immigration Law, Connecticut


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Being approved for DACA does not automatically make you eligible for a green card.  In fact, if you entered the US unlawfully and are now over the age of 18 you are not eligible for adjustment of status even if you are married to a US citizen, under the current i mmigration laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.