What to do if I called the police on my husband because he shattered my windshield so he was arrested for aggravated DV but can’t get a bond?

He never laid a hand on me but I might have said he was chasing me. The police doesn’t like us and my husband has 2 prior domestic charges; also he has been indicted on possession of meth. What can I do to help get him out without having a lot of money?

Asked on November 8, 2013 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, it is not your choice at this point. If there is a presence of domestic violences (two prior charges), the police can move forward with arrest and prosecution can move forward with charges without your witness testimony. If he is not eligible for bond or you cannot afford bond, bond may simply be denied. The issue here concerns his priors and the court can hold him to protect the public.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.