What to do if I built some product for a customer three years ago that sat on my property that is fenced and locked?

I did not charge storage and we had no written storage agreement.last week the customer came to pick up the product and discovered that about half was missing.The product had been paid for three years ago.The customer expects me to rebuild the product ASAP. What our my legal obligations. Can I charge storage if the customer is holding me liable, can I pay the vaule back to him at the original invoice price.

Asked on January 20, 2013 under Business Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you can contractually and legally charge for storage of your customer's product depends upon what the presumed invoice for the item states. If it does not state so then contractually and legally you cannot charge storage fees for the product.

If the paid item needs to be rebuilt when such was under your custody and control, then you need to do so as party of the original contract price and eat the expense to do so. If you do not wish to do the above, you can refund the customer the price paid for the item but from a business perspective such is not a wise idea.

In the future, you should make sure all signed contracts for product construction should have language of storage fees to be paid by the customer of so much per month if not picked up in 15 days or so of notice so you can get product off of your property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.