If I broke off a tooth eating peanut butter duethe presence of a foreign object and they want me to mail it to them,should I have it looked at by someone else first?

Should I have this hard piece looked at by someone one and who before I mail it to the company. It looks a lot like a dog toenail?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Personal Injury, Illinois


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question. In response to your inquiry, the short answer is "yes"-- the reason for which I will discuss further below.

I commend you on saving the foreign object following your unfortunate injury. However, I would also recommend that you save the peanut butter container which contained the foreign object as well as the sales receipt which shows the date, time and location where the container was purchased. You may also want to take several photographs of the foreign object because, depending on what it is, its size, consistency, texture, shape and/or color may change as time goes on-- potentially making it difficult to identify the object down the road. It is also advisable to retain any medical reports and/or medical bills which document the broken tooth and any other records which support the circumstances surrounding your injury (i.e. eyewitness statements).

On that same note, it may be in your best interest to have a third party look at the foreign object simply to have another opinion as to the characteristics of the object at a time close to when the accident occurred. While this third party does not have to be an attorney, it may be wise to seek the opinion of legal counsel as this individual may have knowledge of prior incidents which occurred under similar circumstances and may be able to further assist you in getting the medical care and/or monetary compensation which may be required immediately or later over time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.