What to do if a warranty was not fully explained to me?

I bought a used car 2 months ago and it came with a 3 month warranty. The dealer wrote on the paper, possiable exhaust leak. I was fine with that but now the car needs a new motor. The warranty company said they will only pay $1,300 and it’s going to cost $6,600. I never got any info about the warranty only covering part of “issues” when I bought the car. Can they not pay? Also, can I go after the dealer to pay?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country if you received a written warranty with respect to the vehicle that you purchased and you dated and signed it, then you are presumed to have read and understood it absent fraud on a third party.

The problem that I see from your perspective is that if the written warranty that you have described in your question limits issues regarding your vehicle and its purchase and you signed and dated it, you are bound by its terms regardless of the fact that you may not have read the entire warranty but expected the salesperson to explain it to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.