What are my rights regarding an “as is” home purchase?

I bought a house just over a year ago. I had it inspected and the only problem that was found was that it had a slight termite problem, which was fixed. Today I looked into a leak I had in the porch roof only to find that the people who sold me my house fixed the parts enough to make it stable for a couple months and covered up all the issues to pass. I now have a house with thousands of dollars of problems. Also, the foundation is not stable. By signing an “as is” contract, am I know stuck with all these problems?

Asked on October 19, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, an "as is" purchase means exactly what it sounds like you agreed to buy the home in the condition it was in, whatever that condition was, and give up any claims for defects or problems. You could bring the contract to an attorney to review--contracts, including home purchase contracts, are enforced according their plain language, so it's possible there was some exception or loophole you can take advantage of but barring that, you most likely do not have recourse against the sellers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.