I bought a car with only one of the two co-signer’s signatures. I thought the ‘/’ meant ‘or’ but the DMV tells me it means ‘and’. What do I do?

I bought a car from someone out-of-state whose name appears on the car title. He signed it and handed me the title. However, two names where on it, and in California, instead of putting the word AND to imply both signatures are required, it had a ‘/’. The DMV tells me this means ‘or’ and not ‘and’ so they won’t transfer the title to me. The guy refuses to give me back my money, and the the other co-signer cannot be reached. What should I do? Do I need a lawyer from the California county where the transaction took place, or can I use a lawyer form my hometown of Reno, NV? Thank you.

Asked on June 27, 2009 under Business Law, Nevada


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to try the folllowing:


1. Call the California and Nevada Attorneys General

2. Try small claims court

3. Try an attorney in Nevada where the purchase occured if it occured it Nevada.  Try www.attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.