What to do if I bought a car from someone and when I went to the DMV they told me the car had a lien hold?

The seller lost the pinkslip so I went to the DMV. After being informed of the lesehold I contacted the leasing company. It told me that the person who I bought the car from owed money, about $1800. It said that id I paid $650, it would sign it off for me. The owner said she never owed money. For 5 months the company asked for money but it wouldn’t show me or the owner any paperrwork. Finally, the owner recently found the pink slip; it is stamped and signed off. Is this fraud by the lease company for trying to get me to pay money that wasn’t owed? What can I do? And is it best if I get a lawyer?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So long as you have registered title to the car transferred over to you by the prior owner and you had the local department of motor vehicles change title of the car to your name free and clear of any liens, then you have not been damaged. As such, the claims by the leasing company albeit seemingly improper did not cause you any damages.

From what you have written, I do not see a legal or factual basis for an action by you against leasing company since you have no damages under the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.