What to do if I bought 2 vehicles with a settlement check that I received prior to marriage but now that we’re seperated she won’t she will not give me either one of them?

This is because they are registered in her name.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Ok. The general rule is that property purchased prior to marriage is separate proeprty unless there can be shown an intent to make it marital property.  Here you put the cars in her name.  That spells intent to a judge.  But it does not mean that the cars are now hers alone just because they are in her name. If she won't give them to you it is time to go to court and file for divorce and ask the court to award at least one to you for use pending the divorce.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.