What to do about an accident in someone else’s car?

I borrowed my friend’s car and had my girlfriend take my friend to school; he then gave her permission to drive the car. I drove my girlfriend and I to for me to get to school. I had her drive back to pick up my friend from school but en route she got into an accident. The other driver assualted her so she ran. She had no ID or license but I was unaware of this. No police were contacted and no warrants are out. However now, 7 months later, my friend’s family is trying to put the other cars insurance claim onto my father’s insurance or her (but she doesn’t have insurance). I can’t have this on my insurance. What can be done?

Asked on February 5, 2013 under Accident Law, Connecticut


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your father's insurance company will deny the claim because your friend (the registered owner of the vehicle) is liable for the accident.  If your father's insurance company contacts you or your father, inform the insurance company that your friend is the registered owner of the at-fault vehicle in the accident and that neither you nor your father are liable for the accident.

Your girlfriend could file criminal charges for assault and battery against the other driver.  She could also sue the other driver for assault and battery.   The criminal and civil cases are separate.  The civil case is the lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.