How can I find out if my ex-wife is receiving social security?

I believe that my ex wife is receiving social security but every time we go to court the judge just takes her word for it that her application is still pending and does not ask for proof. We do not have lawyers involved in our divorce. Do I have the right to request proof?

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You have some options.  If you already have a judgment then you can serve a FL-396 on your "ex" demanding their income disclosure. 

Your best bet would be to subpoena records directly from Social Security.  It would be easiest to have an attorney assist you with that.


Best of luck.


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since you are in litigation against your "ex" and want proof of social secuirty benefits then under the laws of all states in this country you are entitled to serve a subpoena upon the Social Security Administration seeking all documents showing her receipt of such benefits. I suggest that is what you do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.