If a major corporation took the ideas I provided them regarding a school project for proper gain, can I get compensated or sue?

In high school I took an entrepreneurship class in which we were assigned a major project that would offer us the experience of working for a major corporation. We were to develop new ideas (of which I developed 3-5) , keep track of sales, and our new product. However, about a year or two later I find out that my ideas (names for a product along with the product) were used. I feel cheated. Is there anyway I can sue them for using those ideas or get some sort of compensation?

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Business Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately ideas like what you provided unless were subject to copyright, trademark or other protected intellectual concepts under federal and state law are not subject to compensation as in the situation that you are writing about.

Many people come up with good ideas but never act on them. The corporation that you provided an idea for owes you no compensation for your idea under the law. However, you might consider writing the corporation about your idea and seeing if it might want to give you a job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.