What can I do if I believe I’m owed over 1 years worth of unpaid overtime due to being falsely classified as salary exempt?

Asked on October 20, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you were not exempt from overtime--whether hourly or salaried there are salaried staff who are eligible for extra pay when working more than 40 hours in a week--and were not paid it, you could either 1 retain an employment law attorney and bring a lawsuit for the money or 2 contact the Labor Dept. and file a wage-and-hour complaint for the money. 1 is probably faster--your own attorney will be focused on your case in a way a government agency is not but 2 is free.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.