What am I to do if I’m being harassed by the president of my condo board?

I believe I am being harassed by the president of my condo board. She was using the management company to charge me extra fees. I took them to small claims course and won the decision but her behavior just worsened. I moved out 2 years ago because of the harassment and she began harassing my tenants. Now they have gone and I have new tenants that she began harassing on their second day. I don’t know what to do or where to go. I left the building because I thought that this action would stop her behavior towards me but I was wrong. I even tried selling the unit but wasn’t able to. She won’t even hold board elections anymore so I can’t even vote for her removal.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that has experience in planned unit developments and obtaining restraining orders with respect to the president of your HOA and her perceived "bad behavior".

Possibly you can have the attorney review the recorded CC & R's and all other rules so that you and possibly others can file a petition with the HOA to have this person recalled and voted off. In the interim you and your tenants might be able to file a petition for a restraining order against her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.