If I becamie an American citizen 4 months ago and have 2 children both of whom have greencards, what are the documents I need to apply for their US passports?

They said my children (ages 13 and 15) will be automaticly citizens. Should I bring my certificate and their greencards? What else?

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


Gene Meltser, Esq. / BIRG & MELTSER

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

All you will need is your Certificate of Naturalization and their birth certificates and a consent of the other parent to get passports. However, I strongly recommend filing for their Certificates of Citizenship as well, so that the CIS can close their files. No need to wait for those to get the passports though. I would be glad to assist - feel free to contact me at [email protected]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.