What to do if I backed into my husband in our driveway?

We have the same insurance company, full coverage. The insurance company is telling me that we have to file 2 separate claims and pay both deductibles because he is my husband and lives in the same home. What is the law on this and the actually procedure of the insurance company?

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Accident Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This doesn't sound correct and it sounds like your insurance coverage is pulling the wool over your eyes and trying to maintain bad faith coverage. File a complaint with your state's insurance department...this is the department who regulates these companies. It should help you get the resolution you seek.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would first get estimates for the damages that you are writing about and then make a business decision about making a formal claim to your insurance carrier. Possibly the increased premiums and the deductible may sway you to simply pay the damage repairs out of your own pocket.

As to what is the best way to proceed with the claim on your own insurance policies is to carefully read the terms of each and follow what was agreed to in the policies' language.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.