I backed into a vehicle leaving a small dent. Going through insurance, and NOT fixing my vehicle, will I pay a deductible with my insurance company?

Asked on June 27, 2009 under Accident Law, California


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although I do not practice law in the State of California, the general rule is that a deductible only applies if you make a claim with your insurance policy.  For example, let's say hypothetically that your car requires $5,000 to be fixed, but you have a $1,000 deductible. Obviously you would pay the first $1,000 and your insurance company would pay the remaining $4,000.  But, using that same hypothetical, if you did not attempt to fix your vehicle, you would require $0 to fix your car, rather than $5,000, and therefore the $1,000 deductible would not apply.  In light of this example, and given your specific question, it is not clear to me how you would be both "going through insurance" AND "not fixing your vehicle."  Usually, one would only go through their insurance if they were planning on fixing their vehicle.  Therefore, it is unclear what role you are anticipating your insurance company to play if you do not plan on making a claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.