Is a website able to collect money from donations from a non-profit without their knowledge or consent?

I assist a non-profit animal rescue organization and I discovered the site Razoo. A listing for our organization was created, with no information, but with links available to donate and pledge. Confused on how this was created, I contacted the support for the website and asked questions about it. They informed me that they take IRS records and find non-profit organizations to list. Donations made then go to the website, they collect a fee and send a check to the address on file with the IRS for the organization. This is all done without contacting the non-profit and asking if they even want this service. Is this legal?

Asked on November 15, 2014 under Business Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Razoo is committing fraud by intentionally misrepresenting itself as your company to solicit donations and keep the funds or a portion thereof without the consent or any contractual relationship with your non-profit.

It would be advisable to contact the Attorney General in your state  regarding this fraudulent activity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.