What to do if I assaulted my 70 year old grandmother-in-law, and a claim has been filed against me with adult protective services?

Prior to this, I had often asked for her to allow extra help from hospice, which she stubbornly declined. I obviously was not suited to care for her and the stress of it has complicated my pregnancy. When all this comes to a head, will I be put in jail? Will they take my baby?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Criminal Law, Montana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney about the matter that you have written about to do damage control as to your predicament. In the interim, I suggest that you look into taking some anger management courses in that taking care of an elderly person who has special needs can be taxing for one.

As to losing you child over what happened, I doubt such will happen based upon my experience in such matters. You did not harm your child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.