What to do if I asked my employer if I could change my work schedule by 1 hour and it said no and that I would have to move to a different part-time position?

The new position is less pay (about half of what I’m making now) but they said in the job description whatever is needed. They told me if they get behind on work I would be required to do the same work I did before under my lower pay scale. Can they change my pay and title but still make me do work I used to do under this lower pay scale? I feel like if they are making me still do old work so I should get paid the higher rate for that job.

Asked on July 28, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, most work relationships are what is known as "at will". This means that an employer can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. That is unless some form of actionable discrimination is a factor in the employee's treatment, or the employer's actions violated company policy, a union agreement, an employment contract, etc. Consequently, your change in pay and title is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.