Would it be prudent albeit expensive to have my 18 year old daughter on her own insurance as well as sign the car over to her?

She recently admitted to having “a beer” while hanging out with her friends. Our concern is if she causes an accident or an accident with injury that we’ll be liable being that she is on our insurance and we currently own the car.

Asked on October 3, 2013 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since your daughter is an adult since she is 18 years of age, she should pay for her own car insuarnce and upkeep. As such from a liability standpoint it would be wise for her to have her own policy of insurance for the car that she is driving and be on title to it all by herself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.