What to do if I’m an heir to my grandfather’s estate and my aunt is the executor and she is trying to scam me out of my inheritance?

My grandfather died almost 2 years ago. I am one of the heirs of his estate. I have not received a dime of money to this day. The problem I am having is the fact that my aunt is sneaky and greedy. She sent me a letter today stating that I have to pay my part of the real property and land taxes. I thought the estate covered those cost. Is that even legal? Do I need an attorney?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Estate Planning, Alabama


Steven Fromm / Steven J Fromm & Associates, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Get yourself to an estate litigation attorney immediately.  If she is what you say, you are late in the game and she may have looted the estate.  You may need the attorney to have her removed for cause. 

For removal for cause, please see my article entitled Pennsylvania Probate: Removal of Personal Representative Under PA Estates and Fiduciary Code at the following link: http://www.sjfpc.com/Probate_Removal_Executor_Trustee_PA_Probate_law.html. Even though this relates to PA law most states have similar rules.

You need to get on top of this situation immediately, so get with an estates litigation attorney now!



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.