If a mother that gave up guardianship of herchildren, does she have the right to make burial decisions for 1 of the children?

I have a mother that gave up guardianship of both my brother and I. My brother just passed away this last Saturday and she is trying to interfere with the planning/decision of the burial that I am putting together. She is trying to get his last paycheck and stop me from making some decisions in regards to the funeral.

Asked on December 7, 2010 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your loss and for your present situation.  It must be a very difficult time for you on all ends. I am assuming that you are all adults at this point in time.  May I suggest that you take the initiative here to seek legal help in making yourself the personal representative of your brother's estate as soon as you possibly can.  You can make the application and receive temporary letters of administration to allow you to make the arrangements you wish to make for your brother.  They can be granted quickly if need be.  If you will have to open an estate for your brother anyway it is at least the first step.  Then you have the fiduciary power to make the necessary decisions here.  Seek legal help in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.