At what age can a child choose where they want to live?

Asked on August 16, 2015 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In most jurisdictions a minor cannot choose with which parent they want to live. Although, if they over the age of 12, a judge will give consideration to their preference; the older the child the more weight it is given.

In making its determination, the court will look to many factors in deciding where a minor child should live. It will look at the child's relationship with their parents, the reason for the child's wanting the change, the income/education of each parent, etc.

For additional information specific to your situation, you should consult directly with an attorney who specializes in custody cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.