I am wanting a divorce but my spouse is not making it easy to leave. we have a son that will be involved. i am scared for my son and my safety.

how can i go about leaving without problems from my spouse and making him understand that this is what needs to happen? he has threated me that if i leave with our son he would cause problems for my family.

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Family Law, North Carolina


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You might need to file a restraining order against your husband in order to keep yourself and your son safe.  Do you have family in the area?  Be sure to let them know what's going on.  Speak to a family law attorney for the best advice on how to proceed while still staying safe. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.