If I am a US Permanent Resident and my fiance is an Indian citizen but he is in the UK on a work permit, on what visa he should come if we want to get married?

He just wants to come here to get married and he has to go back to UK because he is still working there. We just want to know what visa type he should apply to get marry in US? Also, please let us know if we need to perform any precautionary steps.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

He cannot apply for a fiance visa since you are not a US citizen. He may apply for a tourist visa, but it will be difficult, because he must disclose that he is engaged to an LPR. However, that is likely his only option, unless you can qualify for citizenship.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.