I am a 2/3rds owner of a condominium, which I am the sole resident of, can I force a sale?

My parents each own 1/6. Do I have to have their permission to sell?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country you can sell your fractionalized interest in the unit without your parents' permission. However, to sell the entire unit, you either have to have all owners agree to sell or file a partition action to do so. I suggest that you consult further with a real estate attorney to give you your options as to how to resolve the matter that is the subject of your inquiry.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.