If I’m a US citizen who is turning 21 and am planning on filing for residency for my parents, will moving out or getting married somehow affect their petition?

Asked on April 11, 2015 under Immigration Law, Texas


Ling Dai / The Dai Law Firm, PLLC

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor


Getting married or moving out does not affect your parents' statutory eligibility for permanent residence.  However, you need to be mindful about the income level requirements for a sponsor of immigration relief for immediate relatives.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.