What to do aboutI 2 credit card debits that are weighing me down?

I am trying very hard to clean up my credit but have 2 old credit card debits. They are from 3-4 years ago and both total a little over $10k. One is with a collection agency and they have not summons me but do call every so often. The 2nd smaller debt, that was with a collections agency did go to court and I now have a “judgement” against me. Neither has done anything further then that. I want to get them paid and off my credit report so I can move on with my life and get loans. Is there any advice when calling them to work out a re-payment option or websites that have free consultation to help individuals get out of debt?

Asked on September 10, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You have to take a deep breath and bite the bullet and contact them.  There are various scenarios that can happen here.  The one that is not in judgement may in fact negotiate the amount and a pay off schedule with you.  Make sure that you read any agreement carefully and if you do not understand it then bring it to some one who ca explain it.  As for the one in judgement, they have the upper hand so you may be at their mercy but still you should try and negotiate the amount down.  Make sure that they vacate the judgement in the agreement or mark the debt as settled.  There are tons of places to get help but check them out with your local Better Business Bureau or state attorney general's office.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.